PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 9 Sqn - Fighting the war
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2003, 18:55
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The armourer played well here, I have to say, though the wisdom of criticising St Di on a prog aimed at less pro-defence civilians may not have been that wise.

Derek W came over very well, punchy and professional yet thoughtful, while my liberal wife was (pleasantly) amazed at the desire of the Tornado crews 'not to have killed anyone'.

I thought that the reaction to the use of CBUs was extremely interesting. On camera, in front of journos, aircrew seemed 'lukewarm' enough for it to seem as though they weren't entirely happy about it.

As for the suggestion that there should have been more humility because the targets weren't 'as tough' as Cold War targets, there must have been concern that the Tornados were still facing the best AD system in the world, which had already shot down one of their number two days before. Patriot is deadly, whoever fires it. And the Iraqi AD system was easily capable of killing people, too.

Generally a bloody good advert for the humanity and professionalism of HM Flying Club, I thought.