PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speed flown after Drifting down?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2015, 12:23
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rather intrigued

All,

I'm quite intrigued by this thread. Although not current, I am multi piston rated. I think what interests me here is the science behind what's going on. As a physicict, I like it when the real world works the way science class tells you it should - drifting down on one engine until equilibrium is reached, but I never thought about the airplane climbing as it gets lighter (I knew that's what Comet did back in the day of inefficient turbojets). As I read the practical suggestiong of asking for an altitude block, I was perplexed because I was focused on "drift down," and why would you need blocked altitude at equilibrium? A mental speed bumb later I realized it was for the possible climb.

[One of the things I like about PPRUNE is the combination of technical AND practical information.]

Big jets are way outside of my experience. The biggest thing I've flown from start up to shutdown is a Piper Navajo.

I know fuel consumption is dependent on altitude and setting. What happens to total fuel consumption and range when flying on one engine at full power and lower altitude when compared to two engines at cruise power at cruise altitude? I know drag decreases with slower speed, but what is the net result?

Thanks!

Terry