PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Revival of Concorde
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2015, 11:38
Volume

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may not even be possible to certify it to the current regulations.
there are no current regulations for supersonic aircraft. So the old ones are still the most recent ones.
20 years ago it was a dream to se a Me 262 flying again. No more airworthy engines existing, no full set of plans, nobody current flying the type (for about 50 years...) Now there are several ones flying. Never say never.
But it would definitely take more money than any pivate organisation can raise, so unless some arabian sheik wants to fly on one, this will not happen.
I have seen 3 of the Concordes over the last 3 years (Toulouse, Filton, Sinsheim) and none of them was even close to airworthy. I am even afraid I will be still around when they have to be scrapped for safety reasons...
It is a shame that such masterpieces of engineering are rotting away when millions are spent to restore old paintings or old temples.
Concorde hat more opponents than friends when it was in operation, and nothing changed to the better since.
The best we can do is making sure that all existing documents (drawings, films, photographs...) are conserved, additionally converted to modern electronic format and made available to those interested, and all existing hardware (airframe, engines, test pieces...) is stored properly indoor in a controlled environment.
But even funding that seems to be only realistic for a large organisation (e.g. an airframe manufacturer who once owned it all and now sells Aircraft in excess of 8G€ every month...) but they wish to see the opposite happening.

Reason: 1st pic WAYYY too big
Can a picture of Concorde ever be too big?