PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR Revalidation - What to expect?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2015, 08:53
ifitaintboeing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the sim is set up to replicate a DA42, will I be expected to know and memorise the important parts from the POH such as speeds for different phases of flight and configurations etc? I remember that the speeds I used to fly for my IR training (such as holding speed and approach speed) did not match the exact numbers in the POH and were set by the school I guess to keep the numbers simple.
If you're going to use speeds other than those specified in the POH then you will be asked during the briefing to nominate them before you use them. You may be later questioned why you had nominated a specific speed.

Also, how about the cockpit instrument set-up, seeing as it won't exactly match the Garmin 1000 I was familiar with? I know during my initial test I was expected to know the Garmin inside-out but I'll only have 1.5 hours prior to get used to the layout in the sim.
Your examiner will allow you sufficient time to familiarise yourself with the simulator layout. It sounds like you're getting a training session in beforehand which will be of benefit before launching into the check.

Finally, a bit of clarity regarding revalidation v.s. renewal. I just found this line on the CAA website:
The IR is valid for 1 year from the date you pass the skills test. To revalidate the rating you must pass a proficiency check within three months of expiry. To renew the rating after it has expired you need to take refresher training and pass a proficiency check at an ATO which has been approved to conduct IR training.

Does this mean that if I fail the revalidation, I still have 3 months to re-sit the test before it then gets treated as a renewal? To answer the previous question, I'm hopefully due to start a Type Rating within the next 3-4 months and so I would like to keep the IR current.
There is no difference in content between a IR Revalidation and IR Renewal. If you fail the Proficiency Check, then your examiner will advise you that you can no longer exercise those privileges.

At present you need a valid multi-engine IR(A) if you are starting your first multi-pilot Type Rating course (FCL.720.A (d) - see CAP 804, Section 4, Part H, Subpart 1, page 2). This may change in the future (EASA NPA 2014-29(A)).

More information about the IR Proficiency Check can be found here:

Standards Document 14 (A): Class, Type and Instrument Rating Skill Tests and Proficiency Checks (Excluding single-pilot high performance complex Aeroplanes) | Publications | About the CAA

ifitaint...