PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Speed flown after Drifting down?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2015, 02:48
73qanda

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the reply FE Hoppy.

What was your level off altitude? What was LRC at your level off altitude?
Level off would have been approximately FL210 and LRC would have been within a few knots of 270 IAS.

And why do you think drift down speed is Vmd
The FMC guide and the FCOM both have statements to the effect " For engine out (ENG OUT) conditions, the FMCS displays the maximum continuous thrust N1, maxi-mum altitude capability and optimum airspeed based on maximum continuous thrust, minimum drag speed, and current gross weight" so I am pretty sure that 236kts was within a knot or two of VMD and applying 1.32 is nowhere near MRC .
To try and tie in some figures with the ones you provided below I'l provide figures from the 737-800 manuals we use.
At FL200 and 65T s/e hold speed is 222kts
At FL200 and 65T the 2 eng hold speed is also 222 kts
So using the graph you provided above, LRC should be 222x1.37= 304kts and MRC should be
222x 1.32 = 293kts.
Both of those figures are a long way off. From the Boeing charts LRC under the same conditions is 267kts at FL200.
So what I am thinking is that the chart you reproduced above can be relied upon for some aircraft types and not others, or for some altitudes and not others.
Either that or I have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the graph is saying.
More of your thoughts would be appreciated ( I just might learn something )
Thanks again, 73qanda