PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who actualy wants a Waddington Airshow to return?
Old 22nd Sep 2015, 05:31
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts
" Of course the RAF should be able to put on at least one Airshow a year, be it at Waddington or anywhere else, if only to let some of the great "unwashed" whose taxes pay for it see some of what their paying for, and like the Red Arrows they do influence people to join" .

Whilst not strictly speaking an RAF show, the public as mentioned above did have the chance to see how their £££'s are being spent last weekend....at the Southport Air show. Which, along with a couple of friends and about 45000 others, I attended.

Given the location, it's very well organised as in the town itself keeps functioning whilst the paying public are directed to the front.

However, there was only one real attraction to judge from the many overheard conversations and that was the Vulcan.

The arrival, with the Red Arrows in a V formation, in near perfect weather, did, as they say, bring the house down and I suggest you have a look on you tube as to just how impressive this was.

Thereafter, came what can best be described as an "interesting" display.

The downside.

Given the complete range of people attending, the collective and repeated, ahem, "sentiments" towards the commentary / commentator were telling.

As an exercise in "how to put people off aviation, the RAF and air shows" it was unsurpassed. Ponderous and, at times, arrogant inflection, repeated references to that, raid, "please give us some more money " and a lecture in Roman history and mythology all contributed towards a negative perception.

This was going to be the last chance most people, other than the dedicated enthusiasts, would have to see the Vulcan displayed so you would have thought a lively, upbeat, celebratory and even humourous commentary would have been more applicable......but no.

Last edited by Krystal n chips; 22nd Sep 2015 at 05:59.