PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson TOM6555 flaps problem at Cardiff
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2015, 10:23
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can now have a real go as well. Heartymeatballs has summed up some of the things that really disappoints about passengers. But the major one to me is people's selfishness. An example of this that too many believe their toiletries and the contents of their carry-on trolley bags are more important than other people's lives.

This does not mean they are ignorant, stupid and generally given to over-reacting.
It certainly does mean they are ignorant. Too many have refused to learn in science lessons at school how technical things work. Despite this they will happily board a technological device, not knowing how is works - trusting that it will be alright. Worse, they ignore what they are told when they in a situation they don't understand. Then, from a basis of total ignorance, a badge many wear with pride, give us "technical" information which is so inaccurate it is risible. Unfortunately, too many believe they have to regurgitate the same worthless "panic" drivel after an event.

Fortunately, these labels don't apply to most people. Examples of passengers I respect and admire are those who manned the bottom of the slides of the Jet2 737 evacuation at Glasgow some time ago. They were not asked to help and even though they believed they were at risk, they continued to help others.

Regarding people's states of mind during emergencies I do believe I have an edge. I have seen what blind fear and panic does to people. Traditionally, they were into two main camps - Flight or Fight. But these don't work on an aircraft. You can't go anywhere, which leads to greater fear and panic. Then, when their have have a chance to do something, their own judgement is found lacking. This will only worsen as the years roll on. Darwinism no longer applies.

Therefore I'm fully prepared for the "I thought we were going to die" and the "We plunged thousands of feet before the pilots pulled it up" or the "I knew there wasn't enough runway" or "Everyone was screaming" etc.

But as I (like every other pilot I know) do care about all of my passengers, all of the time. I do not let my beliefs above change they way I do things. I'm always honest, I tell my passengers what is going to happen and what I want them to do. And I also believe we need to invest in emergency handling as an industry because what we currently do is clearly not applicable for the modern passenger.

PM

Last edited by Piltdown Man; 22nd Sep 2015 at 08:50. Reason: Missing phrase.