PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2015, 19:38
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizz announced Sofia and Kosice in August and previously discussed within this thread.

Ryanair seems to be going to operate to Krakow 3 x weekly which, taken with easyJet's current up to 4 x weekly, would equate to the once daily easyJet service to KRK that was operated a few years ago.

The only other recently announced duplication is Wizz's intention to commence Warsaw Chopin against Ryanair's Warsaw Modlin.

The routes may well be marginal in terms of yield (I don't know) but in terms of passenger numbers all the BRS former Eastern Bloc routes enjoy extremely high load factors with, for example, Ryanair's five Polish routes seeing monthly load factors between 95% and 99% all this summer thus far. Wizz's new Katowice route saw over 94% in both July and August, its first two full calendar months on the route.

Having said this I'm sure that many people might have hoped for unserved routes rather than adding competition to some already operated.

Ryanair competes with easyJet on more than half a dozen sun routes but the only other occasions I can remember the two airlines serving city pairs at the same time were Milan - Malpensa (easyJet), Bergamo (Ryanair) and Belfast - International (easyJet), City (Ryanair).

Ryanair still serves Bergamo (summer only) and easyJet still serves Belfast International. bmi regional now serves Malpensa but Belfast City is unserved.

Whether this is some sort of precursor that easyJet and Ryanair cannot compete at BRS away from the main sun routes, as fanrailuk puts it, only time will tell.