PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The General Aviation Industry is Being Destroyed
Old 20th Sep 2015, 03:57
Eyrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want the FAA rules adopted here for GA, I want the job outsourced to the FAA while we decide which of their rules we can abolish. The FAA is a mess but less of one than CASA are (or NZCAA where the rules are simple but suck).
The whole ADSB based ATC system is suffering from being conceived in the mid 1990s. There have been huge advances in computers and comms since then and of course drones have come along, enabled by GPS. Without GPS or something similar they are a non starter for any BVR use.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for NZ or Australia to come up with new rules. NZ is run by smug self satisfied bureaucrats and CASA has taken 21 years to do a cleanup and rationalisation of aviation regulation and failed miserably.
The problem is that just about EVERYONE has forgotten what the aims of regulation are. If we get back to that and actually try to solve the RIGHT problem we may get somewhere.
So here it is:
1. Protect people on the ground from having aircraft fall on them. This is actually a very small risk as shown by historical data. Aircraft crash all the time for all sorts of reasons(usually brain failure) and rarely is there more than some small property damage on the ground
2. Protect airspace users from each other. Modern technology (not ADSB) can do this (see Oz Runways and Avplan's position reporting and traffic awareness capability and before anyone runs off at the mouth, these are currently only a nice proof of concept of what is possible, as is FLARM).
3. Recognise that raising your frail body to an energy level well above that of the surrounding environment is dangerous but that it is a risk that informed adults should be allowed to make.

I'm mainly talking about private aviation (including recreational) here.