PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If you're considering EK take the time for a read:
Old 19th Sep 2015, 22:27
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in freedom

You bring some valid points in your post. I don't disagree with anything you have said.

One of those points you mention is report times. Like you, it's a bug bear of mine. At least it was. Whilst we may be reporting ahead of official time, for the purpose of briefing the cabin crew, I ask myself this. Would I prefer to work for an employer that gave me the extra 20 minutes and I drove myself into work, parked and bused/walked in or can I accept that I get driven in a bit earlier and brief the crew when I'm ready. For those that feel an early start may violate the previous day off, ask the FDM for separate transport. There are people out there with the balls to do so, believe me and it has never been questioned when I've requested it. Never. I guess it comes down to whether you accept it and make it work for you or whether you add it to your Company hate list that they're screwing you with another policy loaded in their favour.

When people spend years doing something they hate, when they have the opportunity and financial freedom to do something else, you have to ask yourself why? Grinding out a living, desperately unhappy with morose negativity pervading every part of your life including family and friends. You have a choice in life. Accept your circumstances or try to change them. I choose to accept the report time. For those that don't, they have a choice. Complain to management through ASR's, CSR's and Confidential Reports, or, accept it. Or, as MM and many others do, vent on PPRuNe and hope that others will be warned. I don't have a problem with that, numerous posts are testament to my own dissatisfaction with various policies and reductions in T&C's during record profit years. I too get sick and tired of the PR machine in full swing with millions invested in screens with ever increasing inches and starry lights in cavernous ceilings whilst training and investment in what's really important, the people, takes second place. And that's just my point. We accept it for what it is or decide we will be happier elsewhere.

So, if it genuinely is quality of life that one seeks and not remuneration, actively look for an exit strategy. I agree that it can't be achieved overnight but when the complaints are still rolling in from the same people 3 years later, I have little patience. Nobody forces us to stay here, right? When you get this pissed off, all you bring to the job is negativity. I fly with so many F/O's who spend more time complaining to me about complaining Captains than they do complaining about the Company! Whilst it may say something about the Company, it also says much about the person.

Life is too short.

Harry