PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Gen AirShips - Hybrid Air Vehicles, UK
Old 19th Sep 2015, 16:54
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
Just had a look at the HAV website and it states:

AIRLANDER 10
The largest aircraft currently flying uses innovative technology to combine the best characteristics of fixed wing aircraft and helicopters with lighter-than-air technology to create a new breed of hyper-efficient aircraft. It can stay airborne for up to five days at a time if manned, and for over 2 weeks unmanned. It will fulfil a wide range of communication, cargo carrying and survey roles in both the military and commercial sectors all with a significantly lower carbon footprint than other forms of air transport.
Following the construction of a second Airlander 10, HAV’s next plan is to begin work on the Airlander 50, a longer and larger version with a potential payload of 60t for heavy lift operations. The Airlander 50 will be able to carry up to six 20-foot containers in its payload module, subject to a maximum weight of 50t. A 20t lift built-in crane is also included as part of the basic specification. It could also be used as a manned surveillance vehicle, carrying a crew of up to 14 people for a period of up to five days. Work on this airship is planned to begin in 2016 with first flights in 2018. - See more at: http://aerosociety.com/News/Insight-....8UvZbLMl.dpuf
So the weeks and weeks of manmed surveillance seems to have been cut down to 'up to 5 days'. It has a payload of 10,000kgs and cruises at 80kts (in the North Atlantic Jetstream it will be going backwards on most days!). A C-5B Galaxy cruises at 480kts ground speed and carries 122,000kgs. A C-17 carries 77,000kgs and cruises at 450kts groundspeed. I still can't see any advantage in the cargo role and the ISR role is also questionable when some fixed wing can fly unrefuelled for 12-14hrs and close to 24hrs when air-to-air refuelled - even a venerable AWACS can get close to those figures and normally its the toilet that's the limiting factor! For unmanned surveillance, the latest iteration of Zephyr is looking to fly for over 3 months, which is better than '2 weeks unmanned'. If I had the Airlander in a game of 'Top Trumps' it would be the crap card that everyone wouldn't want! Even the upgraded Airlander 50 can't beat a C-17 in cargo capability.

So quite how the HAV sales team think they're going to sell any of these is beyond me. Maybe 1 or 2 for novelty value in the tourism industry and I reckon that's about it.

For Joe-fbs, so the HAV effort is being sponsored by housing developments then? That's how they can claim $2k/hr then!!!

LJ

Last edited by Lima Juliet; 19th Sep 2015 at 17:10.