PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gannet AEW3's
Thread: Gannet AEW3's
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2015, 16:33
Gannet Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is as much as comes to mind about the Gannet's mini-ejector system Haraka mentions. I welcome any further contributions!

Mike

Proposed Escape Mechanism for Gannet pilot

The Gannet had no ejector seat, but as John Middleton proved, baling out while airborne was perfectly feasible at the aircraft's relatively low speed. But the Gannet AEW3 had a reputation for pilots not escaping after ditching - see my earlier entry. However, shortly before I left the Andrew an escape mechanism was mooted.

I have no idea if anything came of it, nor how much of what follows is actually true (this is how it was told to me), but it was an interesting proposal.

On the assumption that, after ditching, the cockpit canopy remained closed and the pilot could not escape or was not conscious, an automatic sequence would start:-

• At a pre-determined fairly shallow depth, a cockpit panel behind the pilot would implode. This would set off.......
  • Canopy blown off explosively
  • Harnesses released, both seat and parachute.
  • Spring-loaded mechanism (I cannot find details) attached to pilot which would, in effect, lift him by the scruff of the neck at least two feet and.....
  • Mae West would inflate.

....the idea being that, even if he were unconscious, he should float safely to the surface.

If anyone has more info than I, please post it! Meanwhile, I recall Crewroom discussions about possible airborne malfunctions where the two Observers would see their pilot suddenly hurtle past the window with fully inflated Mae West and no parachute.........