PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2015, 06:30
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure we've all considered this, but is there a chance that Dr Gilmore's memo is a stout defence (or defense) of his own empire.

The JSF program isn't world renowned for speed and economy; the time between first aircraft flight, delivery of jets and actually using them in war time seems long; multiple millions of dollars worth of hardware and personnel are gathered at locations to conduct OT&E which, by the memo's own admission has been 're-planned' (which appears to be the root cause of USMC expediency).

And amongst all this a bunch of motivated professionals went to a ship with a machine they're obviously content with and declared IOC.

I see this memo as a notch and chaff manoeuvre from the man over seeing what some might be challenging as significant profligacy. The bit he considers irreplaceable and the bit the USMC have just replaced.

'So tell me Gilmore, why are all those assets taking all this time to achieve whatever it is needs doing, if whatever it is needs doing has changed, whereas other dates don't seem to? Do we really need your vast empire and long timelines or could we possibly cut a gilt edged, diamond encrusted, corner here?'

'Well, Mr speaker (insert US term here), I consider my part of this pantomime to be very important and let me tell you a thing or two about the USMC and their time on the boat. Is it alright if you keep paying me?'