PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Aussies are coming
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2015, 10:34
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
A Squared,

I was more or less tongue-in-cheek by saying "...more Aussies...". Although, I really don't care too much if a regional hires them. And they aren't likely to constitute numbers that solve the problem for even one regional.

I'm sure there are obstacles involved, e.g., having the willingness to relocate for substandard pay, having required hours and an FAA ticket.

As for the degree requirement in the visa language:

"...and at least the attainment of a bachelor's degree, or its equivalent, as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States."

What does, "...or its equivalent..." mean ? The Imperial Federal Government will decide. I'd put money on a pretty liberal interpretation of that. The regionals would probably prefer a degree but don't require it. The day will come when the big legacies don't either. UAL already lists it as "preferred" and as of Sept. 15th says this:

https://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Pi...Airlines+-+UAL

If Skywest is actually recruiting expats of any origin, it's a new wrinkle for US airlines. That's what would make it remarkable even on a small scale.

I'd expect them to fit in just fine culturally. As for any flying mindset differences, that can certainly be adjusted when/if necessary. I'd expect younger people to be more amenable to that.

And, your remarks about the conditions at regionals are correct but regionals are an unquestionable steppingstone to bigger & better.

Last edited by bafanguy; 18th Sep 2015 at 16:21.