PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laying out anInstrument panel?
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2015, 07:48
dubbleyew eight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sod's Law guarantees that one day and despite you best intentions, you will find yourself in lowering visibility with no visible horizon and no artificial horizon installed in your LSA. Unless you are a superb and current pilot flying on limited panel then you will be dead in 45 seconds so the experts say.
2 points.

I have needed my artificial horizon on 3 occasions as a vfr pilot.
never regretted having one.

the 45 seconds to death is often repeated but it is rubbish.
in turbulent conditions it is probably quite correct but conditions are not always turbulent.
I ran out of safe options one night after being told some incorrect last light info.
I flew a neutrally stable Tailwind for 20 minutes in total darkness.
To my amazement there was no lights visible in the countryside, no horizon visible at all. just an impenetrable matt black darkness.
I couldn't see any of the aircraft structure around me and couldn't see a hand placed in front of my face it was so dark.
by carefully managing my head so that I was not subject to somatogravic illusions I flew by the sound of my engine note and a steady hand on the controls for 20 minutes until I was able to rescue the situation. (the moon came up)
the experience reinforces the advice given in a 1950's book on navigation.
'a pilot is not lost until he succumbs to panic and ceases to think logically.'

at about the same time a chap in NSW flew into cloud in a dragon rapide, lost it and killed 7 people.

it isn't automatically a death sentence but it can become one.