PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Differing reactions to accidents - Why?
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2015, 06:25
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
both events changed my way of flying immediately, as they were both more experienced pilots than I at the time. I learned

Pilot Dar

I have lost 7 pilot friends in accidents one an ex Easy Jet Captain another a very experienced and cautious commercial pilot another a ferry pilot who flew 32 Atlantic crossings in the two years before his death an examiner who crashed in a twin a flight instructor who impacted a mountain in vmc and a PPL who impacted a mountain in cloud in an aircraft I flew all the time as well as another PPL

I am sure we are aware of our vulnerability so when we read accident reports we want to know that the pilot was an accident waiting to happen or the aircraft a load of junk or the accident was a situation that we would never encounter like aerobatics or ferry crossings

We do not want to know that the pilot was highly competent and the aircraft well maintained and functional in the type of flying we do as that then alerts us to our own vulnerability and there for the grace of God go I
We all make mistakes and can look back at situations where mother luck was on our side but sadly for some their luck was out

In the Hunter accident had the jet impacted 50 meters further on it would have just been the pilot sadly it came down on a busy road killing many innocent people hence why I use the comment if your card is marked its marked

The Hunter accident drew such attention because of the loss of life and graphic fireball photographs printed in the media

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 18th Sep 2015 at 07:01.