PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Support / Advice / ? Throw in the towel
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2015, 15:52
Arclite01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. I have a pencil marked off in 1.5 mile segments because I cruise at 90Kts. (1.5 miles a minute). I use the marks so after 5 minutes I am around 7.5 miles from last known point. I hold it over the map and I know 'roughly' where I am since I use it to approximate my heading on the map (and distance). Spend time with the map at home spread out on the table and try to visualise it on the ground. I find that the 1:250000 is much better than the 1:500000 for this as it has more detail.

2. Note the use of the terms 'rough & approximate' because as many people have said - it's not an exact science. And if the wind is that strong that it has a massive effect on your drift or your ground speed - you probably didn't ought to be flying that day !!

3. Fly to somewhere you know - then you can practice overlaying the map on your real terrain. Then fly a bit further on and do the same. Soon you will know your area within 50 miles from your airfield quite well - well enough to find your way home pretty easily. Pick somewhere you want to go and make it your goal............. get your instructor to help you plan it, and fly it with you.

4. Finally as everyone else says. Take every opportunity to fly with someone else. Every hour gained increases your experience. A 'flying buddy' is invaluable - because they are human and not a demi-god (sorry Instructor) they realise that you will screw up occasionally and ask seemingly obvious questions - like 'is that XXXXX or XXXXX ?' or 'Are you sure ?'.

Oh and get a GPS as soon as you can for use after you qualify. It takes the pressure off no end. Remember a good aviator is never lost just temporarily unsure of his/her location :-)

Best wishes

Arc

Last edited by Arclite01; 17th Sep 2015 at 15:57. Reason: Spelling