PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bombardier's New C Series Débuts in Toronto
Old 17th Sep 2015, 15:49
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the Canadian Government would allow the sale of Bombardier to a foreign saviour either. But, you never know. Bombardier is a private company and never say never.

It's unfortunate that your "best friend" in "their technical department" can't answer your questions. Perhaps this explains why CSeries sales have been slow. Maybe he (and others like him) need to be more informed in their work. Either that or replaced. How could he/she not be able to answer simple question like yours.

"Why not Embraer?" Well, except for capacity, their cabins are much narrower. Until they are refitted with GTF, they aren't as economical. Even then they might not be as economical, as the aircraft systems weren't designed around the GTF engine, like the CSeries is. Nor are the Airbus and Boing new-and-improved NEO and MAX. Then there's range. Embraer without a new wing, well we'll see what they come up with for range.

"If I want range and capacity why not a 737/A320"? Well, it all depends on the role the aircraft is going to play. You could have suggested a B777 Instead. But the obvious answer is target sector. If you compare Boeings and Airbuses with the CSeries, your comparable is the A318 and B737-600, not NGs, NEOs or MAXs. This is the constantly repeated mistake analysts make when they bad mouth the CSeries. You're simply making the same mistake about this aircraft. If you're comparing the B737-800 or A320 with the CSeries then you really don't understand what market the CSeries is intended for.

Pricing of this aircraft has more to do with its capability and design than to simply scoff at the break even purchase price. Why should a manufacturer sell anything below cost? Boeing, Airbus and Embraer realize the threat this aircraft poses to their market. That plus the fact they (A and B) can discount based on sales numbers, make sense. When the order bubble bursts, those with the most sales will feel the pain most. Why? Because, between now and delivery, airlines could go out of business, not start up, or simply merge and have their orders cancelled. Only time will tell what huge sales numbers mean. Remember, orders are one thing. Receiving payment for delivered aircraft a whole other thing.

Numbers. Well, are the 1401 Embraers sold the total number of all Embraers sold or just the newest model? If it's for the GTF latest version then I have nothing to say except WOW! If this is not the case, then you should look at the total number all CRJ sales for a reasonable comparison.

I've never understood why Canadians can't encourage and support Canadian products or companies

I hope once you've flown the CSeries you'll realize this aeroplane is certainly no joke.

Willie