PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2015, 10:35
Danny42C

Chugalug,

Great Minds think alike ! We can lay the Arnold Washouts to rest (but it was hard luck on the "victims" all the same).

This horse is getting "a bit long in the tooth", I'm afraid !

Pete,

Brilliant - so Dothan (in the Florida "panhandle"). The place is/was full of Navy and Air Corps Fields. (At "Advanced" we did a fortnight's air/ground gunnery with our AT-6s at Eglin Field. Didn't hit much). Presumably, Dothan was an RLG for one or more of them.

And now I come to think of it, the two RAF "experts" who were supposed to have come out to us in India to teach us how to dive-bomb had reputedly "done a Course" at Pensacola.

EDIT: Sounds like another Cola ! (we had CocaCola, PepsiCola ("Twice as much for a nickel, too") and the unhappily named Royal Crown Cola (abbreviate "Royal Crown", then say it quickly!) Pensa-Cola would just be another one.

You may recall that one speared in on his first demo (or so the story went). His mate lost all credibility; we learned to dive-bomb our way. (All this is hearsay, and absolutely not to be relied on).

Ormeside,

Good to hear from you ! (Good men are scarce - there aren't many of us left !). The "Vibrator" (Vultee B-13) handled in the air much as the Catalina handled on the water, I would think. Not my favourite aircraft !

Cheers to all, Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 17th Sep 2015 at 10:51. Reason: Afterthought