PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U2 @ Akrotiri
Thread: U2 @ Akrotiri
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2015, 09:13
chopper2004

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts
Beirut Air Bridge

Slightly digressing, a good mate of mine - one of the Mother Rucker graduates, had the absolute pleasure of being there in the 80s with his 60s doing the embassy runs.

Heard the stories of deck landings, the drop in at the compound - and the old let -not-thy-right-hand-know-what-thy-left-hand-does/knows _stick your hand out and take the package / envelope/postcard but don't look at it in the dead of night. In a loT of cases, don't even look at he passengers entering or exiting.

Though when the Reds did their practice, him and his mates always welcomed the view....

Though did anyone watch The Unit Season 3 - Play 16? Would think his case it was supposedly a U.S. FOB in Cyprus ...in TPMH as the hospital and press room upstairs has the Union Jack but on a. There is one floor of Us Army / USAF and the morgue downstairs with Armed Forces ME and guarded by Sky cops. The ungrateful injured former hostage reporter is persuaded by the surviving members to change his story whilst their injured colleague is treated next door and their deceased colleague and comrade is carried y his crew into the mortuary (which we can assume is TPMHs one though looked more Hollywood single freezer as opposed to UK one fridge fits all) and the army / USAF med captain has the task of extracting bullet, cleaning up any traces of Beirut and then in silver transport case back to states. So in the case of the tragic accident, that the USAF medics came along to take care of the pilots remains TPMH due to the sensitive nature of the the circumstances.

Wonder if with the black balloons , there was a cadre of their aerospace med lot taking over TPMH during the deployments as well as supporting my mates detachment ?

Cheers