PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sqn Ldr Steve Smith (ex Nimrod)
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2015, 09:01
nosmo king

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very sad news, I flew with Smithy many times over the years as my crew Captain, as a fellow Nimrod pilot and latterly as an airline pilot. He was with out a doubt one of the best pilots I've ever flown but even more importantly a really good guy.

Stories abound about Steve, but my personal memory of him was being called to make up the numbers and fill in as a Co-pilot with him on a GSU training flight. As I was from a Squadron I was told that under no circumstances should I talk about the GSU's performance afterwards as they had their lofty position on the station to maintain. All went well until we were asked to make a fly past at Benbecula, Smithy proceeded to frighten the life out of me and the assembled throng that were stood outside the tower by making a pass that was so low I could see sheep looking down on us as we went by, which is no mean feat at Benbecula. Looking across and seeing me looking ever so slightly shaken as he pulled up Smithy says "yep the engineer was right, that bloody Radalt was reading over reading, make sure its snagged when we get back will you".

I know he will be sorely missed by many and I can just see him now with his pipe firmly set and beer in hand, issuing forth on the latest item that had annoyed him.

RIP Steve

Last edited by nosmo king; 17th Sep 2015 at 14:15.