PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross Cockpit Authority Gradient
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2015, 20:22
Ken Scott

Received 146 Likes on 28 Posts
When I was a C130 co-pilot we were flying across the Carribean, the ITCZ was very active & there were a great many CBs around. The radar was not really playing & as it was night we could only see them when they were lit up by lightning. The Nav, who happened to be the Sqn Boss, was adamant that he could see enough on his radar screen to guide us through. He was very much the 'press-on' type & was trying to get the route back on schedule as we'd been late departing the UK due to fog. The Flt Lt Capt was wavering & looking to go back to our point of departure as all he could see on his radar was mush but the Boss made it perfectly clear that he would not be happy turning around so we pressed on. The Nav's avoiding actions got larger & larger until we inevitably ended up in a CB - it was pretty horrendous, severe turbulence & icing, the cockpit lit by St Elmo's Fire, the instrument panel a blur & IAS fluctuating in the up & down draughts by 60kts with steady power. I expected the ac to come apart at any moment. Somehow we were spat out into clear air and the Nav gave us a heading back away from the CBs. The rest of the sortie was flown in almost complete silence.

Any lingering doubts that I had perhaps over-dramatised events were swept away when the Boss said in the party room after we'd landed: 'I suppose you're going to tell all the other co's that I tried to kill you?' The Capt apologised to me the next morning saying, 'Sorry you nearly died so early in your tour'. The Capt was a mild-mannered chap, the Boss a rather belligerent character who was well known to exact revenge on those who he felt had crossed him on even the slightest thing.

Since then I have flown with a great many pilots & Navs of varying ranks up to 4* but have never again encountered such an unhealthy dynamic. Some of the more SOs have occasionally required tactful handling but at the end of the day they've all accepted that I was the Capt & the one in current flying practice.