PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2015, 16:24
CRAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fenestron's have different characteristics to open tail rotors as John says and you just need to get used to them. I predominantly fly R44 and haven't had any difficulties with yaw control in the G2 on the handful of occasions I've flown them.

As a balancing comment to some of those bashing the G2 above; of all of the post-crash photo's I've seen of the G2, the helicopter always seem to be intact and appears to be doing a good job of protecting its occupants. How many similar mishaps have ended up in a rolled up ball of tin-foil in flames...I notice that the Denham R66 that has rolled over appears to have lost its blades, nose and buckled its tail. The G2 just looks like its lying down for a little sleep!

Training helicopters will crash frequently, simply because of their job and the fact that they spend a lot of time close to the ground!

I would much rather have to pay attention to making the correct pedal inputs than worry about a reacting to an engine failure in less than a second, catching fire after a minor crash or having the rotor or tail come off in unexpected turbulence.

Lets be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Even if you want to brand the fenestron as an 'issue', which I think is unfair, surely that is more than offset by the many other safety improvements that the type offers over the R22.

As I say, I predominately fly R44's and as a personal helicopter think they are the best bet. I think the G2 is too expensive and a little too slow, but it is a fantastic piece of engineering and it is proving itself to be a safe pair of hands in the training environment.