PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell OH-58 cyclic issues
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2015, 03:45
coochief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radam559,
I'm glad to hear you are cropdusting in an OH-58A+ as that is what I do as well. Curious where you spray at and what crops?

It could be that the pitch links are not set quite right and that will take a wrench with some savvy to correct that, don't start changing them on your own.

Anyways, I'll try to condense this if possible: I see you said that you fly "aggressive" and that is great but trying to make quick turn around times and get acres and be smooth takes time and practice, any body can tear up/torture the machine and make time but being kind on the equip and making time is what works in the long haul. I say this respectfully and maybe your just expecting a little too much out of the machine, it is not a 500. I know Boss man wants acres though too...

So with that being said, I think you are starting to bank like an airplane using the ailerons to tilt the helo to the right a little too much during the turn then all the sudden you are trying to remove that slant/bank . There are different ways to do turns and some depend on your terrain and obstacles. But what I've discovered purely on my own over the years that helps with tight turns is this technique with the collective. Think: "Raise Right, Lower Left" Therefore give the collective just a little nice gradual bump or lower it while in a turn. About half way threw a right hand turn give just a little raise without increasing or using any pedal and the nose will come right around and you wont have this big banking effect that your are trying to overcome. Vice versa with left handers to, and you approach the end of field and climb out and erode airspeed and begin a turn lower the collective just a little more and the nose will come on around even easier then very steadily pull that power back in. This will not come naturally over night and its hard to do when your loaded, I do banking turns also and do skip pass if needed as well. I use a Dynanav and it allows a free form pattern which is handy, a lightbar system does not allow that I don't believe. Goodluck!!

Last edited by coochief; 16th Sep 2015 at 12:14.