PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA NPA for Upset Prevention and Recovery training
Old 16th Sep 2015, 02:10
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The USAF had a training maneuver called 'the confidence maneuver'. I called it 'the scare the sh*t out of the students maneuver'. Pull up to 70 degrees nose high, hold the pitch there, and set the throttles at a mid range power setting (compressor stall protection), and let the plane just run out of energy. A little bit more aggressive than the standard civilian trained stall.

After a while it became fun. A buddy and I did it line abreast(obviously with significant spacing) trying to see if we could time the stall at the same time. The plane would kind of flop around, and you'd be hanging from your lap belt/shoulder harness, so it was neat to look over and see my buddy's jet flopping around - "so that's what it looks like from the outside". I forget what the plane would pitch over to but it was pretty steep, probably in the 60-80 degrees nose down. Pretty impressive from 70 degrees nose up a couple of seconds earlier.

Last edited by misd-agin; 16th Sep 2015 at 13:35.