PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather avoidance
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2015, 01:01
Bkdoss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find this statement a bit disturbing in light of your original questions. I find it hard to believe someone is actually flying around this type of weather with the lack of understanding suggested by your questions.
Intruder, the questions propped up because of an expat captain who I flew with for the first time recently who seemed fairly comfortable in his sectors to let the aircraft go into dissipating anvils of CBs. And he was advising me that it is OK to do the same if the CB has already started dissipating.

As I had mentioned in one of my posts, I have gone through every possible literature I could ever lay my hands on about weather. I take the safer option of deviating all returns by 5-10nms, stay clear of all clouds tops by 5000ft.

The reason why I find Rockwell to be a bit on the sloppy side is, there have been times when I was still getting used to the transition from Honeywell 4000 to the Rockwell series, I noticed that it gave returns in auto mode with Cal gain at cruise FL, which disappeared when I used man tilt to scan 5000-6000 ft below me, leading me to falsely believe that the returns were due to CB well below me.
As I realised later they were the frozen tops of the clouds, not essentially CBs, which didn't show up due to lack of Temperature and altitude compensation in man mode. So it basically tells me to rely on the auto picture that it shows, rather than to do my scanning to find out the extent of the cloud and it's severity

In fact the manual of Rockwell states implicitly at some point to rely on all the automation that it provides. Hope I have made myself clear