PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who actualy wants a Waddington Airshow to return?
Old 15th Sep 2015, 20:24
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Melmothw #9,

Curiously, my annual attendance at our nearest B of B display (RAF Gaydon, home of No2 Air Navigation School) had no attraction to me to join the Royal Air Force. Neither did my membership of the local Air Training Corps Squadron. Perhaps because of my enthusiasm for music. My disappointment at having to wait 12 months to enter training with the Royal Marines Band was interrupted by the next door RAF recruiting office. I walked in hoping they needed a trombonist, I became their latest Halton airframe fitter apprentice. Waddington, in its day was a great display day, I well remember being part of the static display crew (only the AGE) with XV210 many years ago. Our Air Force is a beast of a different time now. No spare money for such fripperies, and perhaps as already stated, Waddington is not a sensible location for public access. Perhaps the future is Fairford as the primary (or only) military display in Britain, and Waddington, Abingdon et al become a distant memory.

Smudge