PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident Report F27 - SOP retract flaps right after T/D !
Old 11th Sep 2000, 00:59
Tartan Giant

Question

Thanks guys for taking the time and trouble on this one.

I do NOT have any experience on the F27 (all jet hours mostly).

I have to agree with "veeonerotate" on the B757 issue - raising flap after T/D is really a dangerous thing to do in this big A/C. It achieves nothing as explained.

I am still at a bit of a loss on the benefit of the procedure on the F27 though.
Having crossed the T/hold at Vat (and your added factoring) you basically "stall" the aircraft on touch down or very close to it (unless you were 'hot') then after landing the L/D ratio is in favour of the DRAG.

Is not the rudder big enough to cope with max ldg flap (40) in conditions of max demonstrated x/w ?
Or is there different x/w limits for different landing flap settings ?

Considering the F27 is a fairly large aircraft with a load of kinetic energy to kill after T/D, I would have thought (on limiting runways) in a x/w which was close to max permissible, keep the flaps down (or even put more down to increase drag after T/D) and full aileron and judicious use of rudder and NWS…..and of course selecting “ground fine”.

I know some will say, “you will weathercock with more flap”……this may or may not be a factor depending on what the CAA or other Authorities used as the schedule to demonstrate the minimum LDR with max flap and max x/w on this type.

As I recall, the F27 had a very ‘negative’ (nose down aspect) ground attitude, so I would have imagined there would not be much lift left after the nose-wheel was lowered in any landing situation.

Sorry to be going on about it, but I have yet to be convinced on this SOP !!