PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident Report F27 - SOP retract flaps right after T/D !
Old 9th Sep 2000, 15:19
Tartan Giant

Question Accident Report F27 - SOP retract flaps right after T/D !

I was reading the accident report (www.open.gov.uk/aaib/gbncy.htm) about the F27 that slid off the R/W at Guernsey (Dec 1997) after a long landing in very testing conditions (x/w outside limits it transpired) and came across the operators SOP whereby the flaps are retracted very shortly after touch-down; intending to lessen the lift from the wings and put more weight on the wheels.

I am surprised that this a/c (or any) needs to retract flap, to reduce lift by some small margin, to gain some extra weight on the wheels, to assist in stopping the thing in the remaining LDA !

I have never heard of this method in a certification schedule for an aircraft to gain a C of A, or it being widely adopted by F27 operators.
Could somebody please explain the technical benefits of this F27 SOP and what proven extra weight is gained from lift reduction measures after landing, and the proven bettered LDR so achieved.

It seems a bloody stupid time to be retracting flaps to me - for any reason.
As always, I am willing to be enlightened.