PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2015, 22:38
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fifth freedom expansion for EK from Europe to the US is very much on agenda but it comes with its problems. The US majors have and continue to lobby hard to constrain the growth of the ME3. In Europe, the biggest opposition to the ME3 seems to be focused in Germany and to a lesser extent in France with the Dutch recently expressing their reservations as well. Such opposition is largely driven by the national carriers within those individual countries.

The situation within the UK is somewhat different as Willie Walsh has publicly supported continued growth of the ME3. This is not surprising, with Qatar's stake in IAG along with BA being a stanch supporter behind Qatar joining Oneworld. There would be far less resistance within the UK to EK commencing fifth freedom routes than across on the continent.

Tensions in the US will need to calm down for any more EK fifth freedom routes to be announced and this could take time. In an ideal world I suspect that Canada and specifically Toronto would be well placed for a fifth freedom link from a UK regional airport as outside of London, there are no year round links. However, diplomatic relations between the UAE and Canada are not set to improve soon, so this is a non starter.

Also bear in mind that EK have an existing codeshare and interline ticketing agreement with JetBlue, thereby enabling a high degree of connectivity. This adds to the level of threat that the US majors feel EK poses, as EK would not be offering a point to point product.

It won't come soon but EK fifth freedom routes from a UK airport and perhaps even from Manchester, is far more likely to happen than at a number of other European airports.