PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather avoidance
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2015, 14:49
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
I thoroughly agree with Centaurus's comments.

I have personally hosted (along with peers) a development engineer from one of the aircraft wx. radar manufacturers, he needed to personally see real weather because of complaints about that radar not "seeing" CBs.

He had a seriously new experience, 60,000+ tops were no longer a text book thing.

Hence max. manual gain at high level, "new" advice on use if tilt, and how to use manual gain and tilt at lower levels to distinguish heavy rain from Cb/TCu. All came from that trip. I hope it also aided software development for newer models.

As previously mentioned, this is one area where there is no substitute for experience, Bkdoss, it will come with time and only with time.

I am reminded of an occasion, many years ago, when an eminent and highly respected by all Training Captain, was approached by a relatively new F/O.

The conversation went something like (very oily pommy voice): "Captain XXXX, with your vast international experience, when would you consider it safe penetrate a Charlie Bravo??"
The answer was immediate, the accent thoroughly Australia: "Listen, son, I'll tell something for fxxxing nothing, if you never go into one, you are never going to have fxxxxing accident in one".

A very blunt exposition on the company policy on the matter. Stay well away, don't fly over (there is no safe height over), upwind if you can, downwind stay well out of any returns or what you can see visually. Some of the worst hail will come out of an anvil. Never discount what you can see out the window, correlate it with the radar picture, even at night. Especially at night.

And beware if the biggest trap of all, signal attenuation creating a suckers gap, that "thin line" is probably the edge of the biggest Ts you ever saw.