PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie fire contracts
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2003, 07:57
Spaced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds to me as though the Fire departments are pretty serious about not using the smaller choppers this year. There have been quite a few purchases over the winter of 204s, 205s in anticipation of this. In fact every one seems to be talking about since the last fire season is whether or not they will go through with it, it will probably depend on the extent of the fires.
From what I have heard the main ones to be effected will be the 206 and the older 500s. At this stage it seems that any thing from the 206L up will be used to bucket.
One thing that may effect the amount of civilian choppers flying is the use of Mil Blackhawks. After their use to protect the pollies homes last year in Canberra there is talk of making a few available for fire work.
However there are also alot of people saying that there arent enough choppers in Aus to be that picky about which choppers they use and that once the season starts it will be bussiness as usual. Only time will tell I guess.
I totally agree with you DC I dont understand the restrictions they put on the poilts qualifications, how can you get the experience when they activly make it near impossible for you to achieve. I think the industry is lucky that so many involved really want to be here, I cant think of any other industry where I would be prepared to pay so much, to get so screwed around.