PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proof that DAS Skidmore is a new broom
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2015, 21:25
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Unfortunately I have to agree with Dubbleyew Eight and I utterly reject the notion pedalled by "Arm out the window" that anyone is entitled to respect just because they are an "ex-serviceman", speaking as one myself.

With one or Two notable exceptions, I have been underwhelmed by the performance of ex - Duntroon / Academy graduates in management and I am being polite.

They range from the "I joined the airforce to get a free engineering degree" on to "I'm suing the airforce for loss of hearing next year" upwards to absolute blockheads who believe that there is only one way to do anything and that is the Air Force way….or else!

Then of course there is the "club like" atmosphere such RAAF appointments foster - an atmosphere that is actively discouraged, even to the point of anti discrimination legislation, in business right across the country, but is somehow seen as praiseworthy in aviation., as evidenced by "Arm Out The Windows" staunch defence of a brother officer simply because he is a brother officer.

To put that another way; the Australian Airforce has done more to destroy Australian civil aviation then the Germans and Japanese ever did.

To put that yet another way; I fail to see the relevance of military aviation to civil aviation at all. Appointing an AVM. as Director of air safety makes about as much sense as appointing a Vet to run St Vincents hospital - that is, of course, if your objective is to have a thriving aviation industry, which it obviously isn't.