PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Differing reactions to accidents - Why?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2015, 15:48
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Outstanding post The Old Fat One.
+1

A lot of people get uptight about any number of things (you'll upset the relatives discussing the accident, don't show gruesome photos etc), yet I thought one of the most effective safety courses I ever did was one in which photos of the bodies/remains were shown. Brought home the lesson of what safety is all about. I reckon before any young kid is handed a drivers licence they should spend a week in a trauma centre observing the road accident casualties passing through. Yes, I know it's impractical.
'Touchy subject, and unfortunately one of those few, where saying "what's proper" is publicly best, yet still quietly showing people reality has merit.

While she was 17, I had my eldest daughter helping me (in my capacity as a firefighter) extract the remains of an unfortunate driver. She is aware of driving safety with first hand recollection. I have personally helped to lift two friends remains from crashed planes - both events changed my way of flying immediately, as they were both more experienced pilots than I at the time. I learned...

Providing one is courteous, constructive and open-minded, accident discussion is a necessary part of aviation education (and in this occupation/pastime, everyday is a school day)
... Is why this forum emerged. Thanks for the contributions