PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flaperon washes up on Reunion Island
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2015, 12:16
RF4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HUGIN AUV & DEPTH SEARCHES

Since I have only mediocre knowledge of underwater searches, I have kept my keyboard quiet regarding my misgivings about the underwater search. I have, however, not kept my mouth quiet, and have asked a number of people who are highly knowledgeable of underwater work. None of those I have asked have been able to answer my queries, and this could be since none of them is directly involved in underwater searching.

Before the bathymetric survey began, and when hopes for the 'hearing' the pings of the CVR and FDR were rapidly fading, the area to be searched was described as being more than 6000 meters deep in several areas. Then when the AUV Bluefin was put to work in the search, the depth was "up to 6000 meters" which was prudent since Bluefin's maximum depth was 6000 m.
Since the completion of the bathymetric survey, the water depth in the search area has normally been referred to as "up to 5000 meters".

Now they are reported to be about to deploy the AUV Hugin which has an operational maximum depth of 4000 meters with its recent upgrade.

I am quite confident of my information that portions of the search area are 6000 m or more, that the maximum depth in the Broken Ridge area of the search is just over 7000 m and that areas of the 7th arc north of Broken Ridge are in the 8000 m range. How are they searching these areas, when their equipment will not operate at such depths ?

Now we hear that the search is having difficulties with shadows, which is understandable due to the number of seamounts and depressions in the area.

Wouldn't it be more honest to come forward and say that the search might find something, if they get very lucky -- and the wreckage is above 5000 meters, not in the shadow of something, not buried in silt, and if MH370 actually ended up in the search area. I am beginning to feel as if the underwater search is merely a very expensive public relations effort.
--- or am I missing something here ?

Last edited by RF4; 13th Sep 2015 at 12:18. Reason: change to clarify meaning