PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airshow crash in USA
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2015, 10:44
deptrai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed sad to hear, heartfelt condolences to his family. A lot has been posted here about air shows recently, due to the random spike in accidents (no, I haven't crunched the numbers, but I assume it's a random fluke). On one hand, careful planning and aerobatic/display boxes usually protect innocent bystanders and spectators these days. On the other hand, I can't help thinking, what was that L-39 doing just above the ground ("Witnesses say they saw his plane take a dive to do a trick (sic) and never came back up", according to CBS. Despite the odd language, the scenario sounds familiar, unfortunately). It's an aircraft that excels at altitude, it's performance is much better there. If this was loss of control (I have no idea), there is 0 margin for recovery or manual egress just above the ground. Further, it's a military trainer, checklists call for finding a non-inhabited area for a crash, and eject. Not a good scenario but it has saved thousands of lives. I can't help thinking about some posts about Swiss hunters that don't fly concurrently because they share ejection seats. Sounds like a prudent approach to me. Air shows remain a high risk activity, I hope something can be learned from this accident too.