PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian trips worth doing? Still exist? (Sydney)
Old 13th Sep 2015, 09:32
Alchemy101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australian trips worth doing? Still exist? (Sydney)

So this is a bit of an anachronism. Ordinary people flying cross country for fun - did that end in the 80s?

My brother and I (we're both in our 20s) have PPLs and are insane enough to think about hiring a plane (near Sydney) in December to fly to some interesting places for about a week. Probably an Arrow or similar. Have done several similar trips in Southern California, which were incredible. Normally when I fly in Australia, it's sightseeing in local areas.

Problem is, most airports I flew to during training in Australia fit the following generic description:

1) 7km+ from town
2) Dusty flight office with a combination lock opened with CTAF code
3) Said flight office contains a solitary styrofoam cup on the ground, and a CASA safety seminar poster from 1999 on the wall
4) There are no visible signs of fresh paint, or prosperity
5) There is at least one GA aircraft rotting into the ground next to the bowser
6) Getting fuel requires the drilling of an oil well, or the sacrifice of your first born, or both
7) A grumpy local stops by to tell you you've parked in the wrong place, though concedes the sign that directs you was stolen a few years ago and not replaced

I'm willing to concede that our hobby is one of yesteryear - but surely there must still be trips worth doing, to places that (if not humming) are pro GA and suitable for a flying holiday? Are there any signs of life out there?

Thinking of hopping down the coast, but all the above still applies!