PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2015, 17:08
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping a Door Closed!

Quote: "If a passenger had panicked and opened door 2 left off their own bat there might have been a very different outcome."

I agree with you, but... Let's keep in mind that the cabin crew are well trained here! On such an aircraft, ALL regular doors are monitored/guarded by a crew member. Regardless of evacuation orders, they are trained to look out the window to assess any potential threat and Before popping their assigned door. If fire/smoke or other problems are noted, their job becomes one of keeping that door closed and directing SLC to another route.
The pix of this event suggest that opening L2 likely would have caused far more serious problems. That much I'm sure about.
What I do not know is how cabin crew monitors the Over-Wing exits in a similar event. In this case, popping the first Left Over-Wing hatch would have been almost as bad as opening L2. They do not have sufficient staff to monitor the Over-Wing pop (in or out) hatches and I do not know how they control their use. Does anyone out there know?
I think it is already obvious that this event demonstrates both extremely professional action by the BA crews, ATC, Fire Staff and others, as well as a significant measure of ordinary luck. Had the flight crew not noticed 'a problem' for an additional 20 seconds, this event would probably not be enjoying a happy ending.
The single item that continues to trouble me is the firm evidence the the IDIOT Passengers continue to haul their carry-on bags out with themselves. It is a stupid practice, very common and yes, I kow that I'm preaching to the choir.