PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2015, 16:15
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the avoidance of doubt, that operator currently shows the following memory items for a (non ECL) large Boeing:

1) Aborted Eng Start/Eng Autostart (same single item drill)
2) Cabin Altitude
3) Eng Lim/Surge/Stall
4) Multiple Eng Fail/Stall
5) Fire Eng/Sev Damage/Sep
6) IAS Disagree
Thanks for sharing this.

Only the even numbers have memory items on the large Boeing where I work.

This can't be possible right? Surely I have that sim in the basement and am making this up.

I got the 13 items from Whip's earlier comment:

13 Checklists have memory items. Most of these have 1 or 2 lines
eg ABORTED ENGINE START
Fuel Control Switch ... Cutoff
I heartily congratulate Whip on his retirement and I think our latest reduction in memory items has been since his retirement.

Some of these lists would be called profiles and maneuvers for us, we are indeed expected to know them cold.

However, things that would at one time be considered just common sense troubleshooting, like cycling a transponder, have gradually found their way into a formal non-normal checklist in the AOM (and sometimes, but not always, also in the QRH). And now, Lord help you if you don't write it in the book (or type it on the screen), send a maintenance code and maybe file an ASAP report for CYA whenever anything happens.

Remember when airline manuals only came out every year or two with a few bulletins in between to save printing costs?

Now, with pubs on tablets, revisions seem to be slipstreamed into the manuals almost constantly. At least now you don't have to look at the changes to put the new pages in, right?

Apologies for talking shop so much on a professional pilots forum but these days with events like the BA LAS RTO how you did it is as important to the feds as what you did and how it turned out.

I hope I never see a high speed RTO in the plane (but I'm sure it will be on next year's sim training ) however if I do, hope my coworkers watch me and make sure that we all do it right.