PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where Have All The Two Seat GA Trainers Gone?
Old 12th Sep 2015, 07:47
Acrosport II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Megan

I know inflation comes into the costs, Your example of the 1960s showed it was expensive then. I believe things improved in the 1970s and 80s.
When I learnt back in the Mid 80s a PA38 was $70 ph solo ($85 Dual) and the C172 was $120 ph solo or Dual.
An Electrician was earning $30,000, so an hour's flying was around 12% of your weekly before tax wage.
I see an Aero club advertising a C172 at $293 ph. But that's before GST. So 1 hour flying at $323 ph when your earning $1360 a week before tax is around 24% of your weekly wage. That's too much IMHO. I'm not sure what they could charge for a C152 or similar 2 seater though, if there were any around of course.

Spinex

I flew PA38s and C152s. Although I was slimmer in those days both performed very well. There climb out may not look as steep as the modern LSA, but we climbed them at 70Kts rather than say 55Kts in the LSAs. They were great solid and roomy aircraft yet still only had a MTOW of around 750Kg.

Andy rr

I had a CFI like that once. 'Seagull',... you had to throw rocks at him to make him fly. If he could have done the lesson from his office, he would have.

BPA

Totally agree. Although not trying to have a dig at Outfits that do this. But surely operating a 160HP C172 or PA28, 4 seater rather than 112HP 2 seaters for training doesn't add up.
Many PPLs used to hire the PA38 for their private flying, whether local or X Country,...Why,... because it was less expensive ( $70 vs. $120 ph). The 15KTS gained by the C172 didn't make it worthwhile on X countries either unless you had more than 2 POB. The PA38s were used for X country training too. plenty of room to read maps etc.

I missed the Piper Sportcruiser. It looks a nice little plane designed to LSA specs. Obviously Piper doesn't think there's a market for a GA trainer to replace the PA38. Yet GA Training outfits are using PA28s, C172s etc.

Unfortunately I think GA outfits are their own worst enemies only providing C172s, C182s, PA28s etc. I know quite a few guys that have given up GA in favour of LSA because of the cost. Couldn't they put a PA38 online cheaper for training or private flying. It can't be the cost of purchasing these aircraft can it?, when they have a fleet of 4 or 6 Four seaters on the line.

Just asking Guys. I'm Interested in others views.

Cheers