PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airside IDs & Five Years of References!
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2003, 01:42
The Potter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am aware fo the 'Basic Disclosure Certificate' & you are correct HZ123 if you have nothing to hide then it's just a formality. My concern is with the need to supply five years of references without any gaps.

For example this quote taken from Brittania's website:-

"Please note that regulations issued by BAA airports for a security ID pass are as follows:

Five years employment references without any gaps."

Therefore if you cannot supply the said references then you cannot be employed by any airline that is based at a BAA airport because, quite simply, you will be unable to get an airside pass!
How many of us have worked for now defunct companies? Please remember that they are looking for five years without any gaps, how easy would it be to get a reference from a company that has ceased trading? The crazy situation is made ridiculous when you consider that you can obtain an airside ID from a non BAA airport & you then have the right to go airside on a BAA airport!

Any security measures that help to keep us safe & to boost the confidence of the fare paying public should be welcomed but this is just another hurdle aimed at the very people who keep the aviation industry going in the UK. It has made it more difficult both to get your first break into commercial aviation & to change employer. I get the feeling that they must be seen to be doing something, whatever that something may be.