PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA IR as stepping stone to EASA IR for private pilots - options today
Old 11th Sep 2015, 14:18
fdl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA IR as stepping stone to EASA IR for private pilots - options today

Dear forum members,

As a passionate EASA SEP PPL (incl NVFR) and FAA 61.75 PPL pilot I’d like to seek your advice regarding a possible way to getting an EASA (CAA) IR rating via the FAA IR rating. I am aware and have read many of the forum posts on the subject but still wanted to see if you had any advice to offer on my plan which is becoming more and more concrete.

Notably, I plan the following:
1) Pass the audiogram required for the EASA IR from a medical perspective
2) Go to the US, do a full FAA IR course and pass the tests (with all the visa red-tape involved etc)
3) Obtain the CAA UK IR(R) rating I believe I can get right away on the basis of the FAA IR
4) Fly some (5 hours?) with an instructor to learn UK GA IR practices/differences
5) Using the IR(R) rating, fly the 10 hours IR as PIC in European Airspace, which is likely going to be required under BASA to qualify for the EASA IR conversion
6) Fly some more (5 hours?) with an instructor to get to the standard for the IR “renewal” required for the EASA IR conversion
7) Pass the IR “renewal” required for the EASA IR conversion
8) Obtain EASA IR rating in the mail from the CAA

Perceived benefits compared to going for the EASA IR right away
1) 2 standalone ratings, including the FAA IR with more relaxed lapsing rules
2) Train in the US where GA IR is more common (and also cheaper) – I have flown in the US VFR before and am somewhat familiar with the airspaces and practices etc
3) Possibility to train for the FAA IR in a “condensed” and focused manner (i.e. many structured FAA IR courses with 2-3 week duration are offered) fits my lifestyle better
4) No reasonably priced EASA IR course offered (yet?) in close proximity to London (where I live) which would be an alternative
5) More fun and sense of achievement if I manage to do it that way
6) I love flying in the US and will likely do so a lot during vacations going forward, so having the full US IR rating is beneficial

Perceived risks/downsides
1) Will I be able to obtain the FAA IR rating on the basis of the FAA 61.75 PPL-A? It seems so
2) Will I be able to obtain the IR(R) rating on the basis of the FAA IR? It seems so
3) Will I be able to fly the 10 hours IR as PIC in European (i.e. UK) airspace using the IR(R) rating? It seems so (albeit outside class A/Eurocontrol)
4) Probably it is anyone’s guess when the BASA will come and what exact contents it will have. I would hope though that I could alternatively fly N-Regs until the BASA comes into force, so that might keep me covered in some form anyhow
5) I’d probably go for a “condensed” 2 week FAA IR, which is possibly a challenge to pass; even more so as I am not familiar with how practical tests are done in the US (extended oral exam on the day of the flight test etc.)
6) Getting up to the EASA “renewal” IR standard quickly enough once back from the US

From your experiences do you think the above could work? Am I overlooking any major roadblocks or taking stupid risks?

Thanks a lot!