PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naughty, naughty! Helicopter pilot's bridge stunt
Old 28th Jun 2003, 23:04
john du'pruyting

Grainger, my point has been expressed by StevieT. However, there are obviously two main reasons to fly under the bridge ( or any similar obstacle for that matter )
1. Because you have to
2. Because you want to
Point 1 applies for a number of reasons, you are mil flying NOE and do not want to be aquired by radar, you are doing it for filming purposes (approved of course ), you are doing it to avoid inserting yourself in cloud or perhaps a number of equally valid other reasons. Any old how, in this case (certainly for mil or bad wx, maybe not for filming) I would assume that you would use the low slow approach. In that case, should the donk stop then you are correct, fall, splash, sink, swim applies.

If point 2 is the reason that you are doing it then I assume that you will use the fast, low, wazz technique (That's a big assumption JP, why do you assume that then?). Oh alright, I'll tell you. You are doing it because you want a 'thrill' and try as I might, I can't see the thrill of doing a low slow approach under any obstacle (except maybe a very attractive limbo dancer! The gender of whom depends on your preference).
Hence, should the donk stop (in a single) the normal technique is to convert speed to altitude. But oh look, some idiot has built a bridge there. Ah, never mind it was worth it for the buzz.
And there are of course numerous other potential malfunctions that may cause you to regret having a couple of hundred tons of dual or single carriageway above you.

But in case you think I am a complete fascist, my vote was for catch and fine, and that was only because the option of anything more leniant, but not hero worship wasn't available