PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex Vulcan riggers/XM558 riggers
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2015, 23:05
oldmansquipper

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
FAO Ancient Squipper

Ancient Squipper...We spoke! - I trust you are well

OK OK...I admit to a little poetic licence when talking of fitting one `on my own`. But it went a bit like this:

1. OOP chute change due on `X` jet whilst on Micky Finn deployment.. (Not streamed on landing - I guess aerodynamic breaking was simple into the teeth of a Brawdy gale).
2. SAC Me - summoned by the Crew Chief (Robbo the Screaming Skull??) and told to get it done.
3. Crew chief details A N other to help.
4. We get the new chute from the nose, We put it up on a raiser and he goes off to supper.
5. I get the door open, disconnect the shackle etc and push the old chute out of the stowage by increment until gravity takes over and the whole lot drops to the ground on the other side of the ECM bay. The shackle bounces off the duct on the way past changing the duct shape only slightly..
6. I drag new chute strop and shackle into chute bay, motor the hook shut and then start snaking the big brown slug into position. (At this point I cant remember the exact sequence and point at which I had to check the dolls eye indicator) but anyway....
7. I remove the door tool so I could swing into the bay kicking the big slug into an `S` shape
8. I fit the door tool back in position and close the door making sure the latch/lock had closed (This may have been when the dolls eye was checked, and if incorrect, the crew chief was summoned to poke a broom handle up through the ECM bay to gently thump the microswitch `helping the travel` of the latching system)
9. When all the hard work was done A N Other returns from supper and..if I am lucky helps me lift the old chute back into the cockpit....
10. If I am not lucky, the old chute remained on the pan and is probably still there..

If the jet streamed on landing ignore step 1

So; Not entirely on my own...but blo*dy nearly!