PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 18 month expiry of PPL exams question
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2015, 21:47
StickAndShudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18 month expiry of PPL exams question

Hi all,

Surprised I wasn't able to find an answer to this using the forum search as I would have thought it would have been asked before. If it has, apologies!

I understand from the CAA Info Notice IN–2014/147 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Informa...ice2014147.pdf) that students must complete all exams within an 18 month period otherwise retake them:

2.3.3 If an applicant fails to pass one of the examination papers within four attempts, or has failed to
pass all papers within either six sittings or 18 months (as detailed above), they must re-take
the complete set of examination papers.
Just slightly confused as to whether this works on a rolling basis, and if not, how to reset the rolling basis. In other words if a student takes their first exam in month 1 (1 sitting), then due to life getting in the way doesn't take any more until months 16, 17, then 18 but doesn't manage to get them all finished, the 18 months timer ticks over - have they then lost ALL of their exam results and wasted their time in recent months as the above wording would seem, or just those from the first sitting (effectively starting a new 18 month timer ticking, starting at month 16)?

Hope that's clear and that somebody might be able to shed some light - thanks!