PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2015, 16:50
Whip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re #257

Airbubba asked :-
At BA can any of the flight deck crew members call a rejected takeoff?
Either PH or PNH may call "Stop".
I can only recall that the general concensus concerning other crew members in the flightdeck was that they should just draw attention to any missed warning. (I can't remember any definitive answer in the Training Manual.)

Is there still a long laundry list of memory items at BA?
13 Checklists have memory items. Most of these have 1 or 2 lines
eg ABORTED ENGINE START
Fuel Control Switch ... Cutoff

There are 6 which are more complicated.
eg Windshear Go Around; Cabin Altitude & perhaps of more interest,
PASSENGER EVACUATION
- Captain's actions
Parking Brake ... Set
Fuel Control Switches (both) ... Off
Passenger Evacuation ... Initiate
----“This is an emergency. Evacuate. Evacuate. (Hazards at .... )”
---Evac Command Switch ... On
---ATC and/or Grd Crew ... Notify

For the benefit of those who are unfamiliar with Electronic Checklists and their contribution to improved flight safety, the following may be of interest. If the aircraft detects that a Warning or Caution checklist needs to be accomplished, it/they are listed (on B777: by the engine parameters on the central screen). If more than one, then in critical order.
If the checklist has memory items, they are called for and accomplished as I previously described and then PH will call (for this example) FIRE ENGINE LEFT CHECKLIST. PNH calls up the checklist on the central lower screen, which will automatically bring up the top priority checklist. The aircraft can sense which actions have been accomplished and these will be displayed in green writing. Anything in white is an action still required and will either turn green as soon as you have moved the switch or else need you to tick the box to turn it green. At the end is shown useful information (eg decreased crosswind limit; reduced landing flap).
Most importantly, at the very end, the (for this example) FIRE ENGINE LEFT CHECKLIST COMPLETED will only show highlighted when all items have been sensed or ticked off and this highlight is confirmed by both pilots.