PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2015, 15:09
golfyankeesierra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will take an extra second or so to confirm the wind again after stopping.
After stopping....can I ask why?
Well, first of all, number one priority is stopping on the runway, and flying long haul, there isn't usually much left of it.
Secondly, it depends a little bit on the failure, what type, which engine.. a correct failure identification is critical, you must take the time for that (and do it with both pilots).

And then what are you going to do? Take some more valuable time to move the airplane again?
….
The last wind I heard on the tower tape was 360/4. So after you verify the wind, release the brakes and turn the airplane 90 degrees to the left?
And yes, something to consider (exactly what mr Boeing advises us to do), but it all depends on the situation.
Most of the time there is no room to turn on a 45m runway, and you want to be reachable for the fire trucks (which sometimes cannot leave the concrete)
Nobody gives you a guideline, it all comes to experience and for me, looking at that burning BA is a valuable addition to my experience! (which is 25+ years flying european and long haul). Next time it can be me.

It surprises me that only 4 kts crosswind has that effect on the direction of fire. Still wondering if there is something like a fuelspray directing the flames at the hull.

Last edited by golfyankeesierra; 10th Sep 2015 at 15:30.