PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2015, 14:06
golfyankeesierra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I ask, if the aircraft was turned so that the fire was downwind of the fuselage to avoid the same issues that arose in the Manchester Fire
Hi, I was wondering the same. As a pilot I am much more interested in that then in the whole cabin baggage discussion (can we move that to the cabin crew forum?).
I read some reports that the aircraft was turned 30 offset from the centerline, if true was that a deliberate action from the pilots or was it due to controllability problems?
The captain is being hailed as hero but in fact this exact scenario is probably the most standard scenario you get in the sim. High gross weight RTO due engine fire and followup (and sometimes with subsequent evac). We do this 4 times a year, two profchecks, one for the F/O one for the capt per session.

As I popsted before, the flames and smoke were engulfing the hull and that creates the same hazards as the BA Manchester accident.
Wonder whether it was a result of (high pressure) fuel spray in the direction of the plane or a crosswind.
We are trained to consider wind direction in case of fire after a RTO and frankly it is very hard to maneuver a heavy plane on a 45m wide runway into (or away from) the wind but the pictures again show how a fire on the wing easily eats at the airplane.

On my next profcheck the picture of this burning triple will be on my mind and I will take an extra second or so to confirm the wind again after stopping.