PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2015, 13:56
STN Ramp Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baggage

I travelled on Ryanair this morning and paid special attention to the safety briefing. the actual safety briefing is helpfully uploaded to youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8TejiY7Ehg

it says there are eight emergency exits and how to identify them, It also tells you that floor lighting will help guide you to the nearest exit.

it does not tell you that you cannot take your baggage with you in the event of an emergency. For aircrew and regular travellers this goes without saying but there are a lot of people out there that take two or less flights a year and may not realise this.

in the US (I think) the weight of the over wing exit door is placarded on the door, how many people would still say they were happy to operate the overwing exit and throw the door out of the fuselage if they knew it weighed 20Kgs? At the risk of being obvious, that's the equivalent of trying to throw a fully loaded suitcase out of the door whilst sitting down.

hopefully as a result of this the regulators might force airlines to move the safety demo from the marketing department, where is currently seems to be, back to the flight operations department where it should be.

maybe if it started with. 'Please listen to this Safety demonstration, in the event of an accident it might save your life' that would be a start. however the cynic in me says that no airline marketing department is voluntarily admit that they might kill you.