PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 777 on fire in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2015, 13:54
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aox
Well, I'm going to risk adding to your annoyance by pointing out that this issue is being reported, so at least there are chances public awareness may tend to increase.
The opposite side of the story is also starting to get out, as it has in previous incidents: Passengers stranded after plane fire - Story | Southern Nevada - Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City | LasVegasNow | KLAS-TV

Read that as "passengers who followed the rules stranded", because that is what it is. This isn't just an airline problem, it involves immigration, airports etc., trouble is that just allows everyone to disclaim responsibility for the problem (get incarcerated in immigration due to not having documents - not the airlines fault - if it is because your plane crashed, well that isn't immigration's fault...). Until the industry as a whole gets together to resolve the problem, the system will continue to effectively punish those who obey instructions and follow the rules (by failing to mitigate or compensate for the entirely predictable consequences of doing so), and reward those who don't. It doesn't take an expert in behavioural science to predict what people do as a result.

As an aside, as someone who is starting to need medication to stay alive, the medication issue is interesting. Guess where all the medical advice says to keep you vital meds if flying ? - yup, in your hand baggage. Not sure of the reasoning on that, I would have said "on your person" but I can see that it is getting to the point where all my meds plus (in future) testing kits and supplies, are not going to fit into any reasonable (non-impeding-evac) clothing/pockets so a small bag will be needed, but rules are rules and I don't think you can have one small bag for critical medication _and_ one cabin bag for your other stuff - it's only one bag, right?

I think the medical advice is maybe based on you're either in hospital, in which case you medical id bracelet/pendant/whatever should get you the right stuff, or you have your hand luggage. But that doesn't cover being evac-ed uninjured and then held in immigration for a couple of days without access to medication. In theory, I guess there should be someone official in immigration or wherever to get you the medication you need before you become an (avoidable) medical emergency. Question is, in event of evac am I going to bet my life on that, would you ?